Thursday, February 01, 2007

A MAN AFTER MINE OWN HEART--LOYALTY & OBEDIENCE

God chose David to be the next king of Israel because David was a man "after God's own heart" (I Samuel 13:14; Acts 13:22). Saul, on the other hand, had been rejected from being king because "thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee." (I Samuel 13:14).
His heart was not in tune with God's heart because he did not view life from God's perspective. So what does it take to be a person after God's own heart, like David? Did David sin less than Saul? Was David inherently a better person than Saul? NO! David was a sinful human being like any one of us. Yet David had the following traits that we ought to follow if we also want to be a man "after God's own heart."
To be a person "after God's own hear" is to be a faithful child of God--to be totally committed and dedicated to complete loyalty and obedience to the Lord.

II Samuel 22:22-25 "For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. For all his judgments were before me: and as for his statutes, I did not depart from them. I was also upright before him, and have kept myself from mine iniquity. Therefore the LORD hath recompensed me according to my righteouness; according to my cleanness in his eye sight."

Psalm 119:33-36 "Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart. Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight. Incline my heart unto they testimonies, and not to covetousness."

As you can see, King David, was a man that "kept the ways of the LORD" "he did not depart from them" "keep it to the end" and "observe it with my whole heart." These characteristics showed his loyalty and obedience to the Lord. Do you have these characteristics in your life? Are you seeking for these characteristics in your own life? Are you seeking for a "well done" from our Lord Jesus Christ?

To be faithful means to understand that obedience is more important than "results" and that diligence is required in the Christian life. We must continually "walk" and "grow" as new creatures in Christ.

Colossians 1:9-10 "For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God."

II Peter 3:18 "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen."

Romans 8:1, 4 "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Galatians 5:16 "This I say then, walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh."

We can conclude that sporadic, infrequent, or random faith in the Lord and His Word, has no place in the life of a faithful child of God that is seeking "after God's own heart."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home